Friday, August 20, 2010

McKenna Started School This Week!

Oh, it's the start of school and boy are we tired out already! We have the mornings down to about a 40 minute deal already. I make her lunch at night and then just pop it in her lunch sack in the morning. Pills with water and then snuggle time for about 10 to 15 minutes. My child requires a LOT of snuggle time :)

We snuggle-she sleeps- and then we rush to get her clothes changed, her hair styled (which is a breeze thanks to the pixie cut Aunt Amy gave her!), grab glasses and lunch: out the door! We don't get up until about 7 a.m. and we leave about 7:40......it takes anywhere from 20-30 minutes to drive to her school which is about 10 miles down Southern Avenue.

We talk in the car about concerns or just anything that comes up, sometimes she just stares out the window and that's fine. Usually be the third or fourth week I won't be shocked if she drifts back to sleep during the ride. My lovely daughter historically does NOT do well in the morning. It's a BP thing, usually...but she's been getting to bed pretty early and I hope this alertness continues.

We have to find a student violin to rent/buy this weekend. Mandatory for Monday! All fourth graders at her school take it. She met her music teacher and likes her and that's half the battle. She also met her Games teacher and thinks she rocks! At her school kids keep the same teacher from first to eighth grades....it's a pretty cool thing because the students and teacher really bond and know each other better each year. I guess it could be bad if you didn't mesh with the instructor but Mr. Tanner is pretty awesome...he seems very much like I imagine Thoreau was.

The school expanded with a high school this year. They are up to tenth grade now and will continue to add a grade each year as the student's advance....until they have all 12. I like the campus addition and the way they have changed the parking lot and drop off/pick up procession. It can be very frustrating to sit waiting for your child in a line you can't get out of! But they have made it a bit easier this year and for that I am extremely grateful.

I see a much more mature young woman whom I watch go off each morning. She is getting to be more sure of herself each day. I credit a strong bunch of family as well as her therapy and her online community on New Moon. I am encouraged that this year will be a great year for her. PLEASE dear Gods hear my prayers!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing, Suse... Love the snuggle time most especially. :)

    ReplyDelete