Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Who knew old dogs could learn new tricks!


About a year and a half ago I gave up soda.  Dennis was close behind me and McKenna joined in afterwards.  We started changing our eating to be healthier as each of us was diagnosed pre-diabetic and finally Dennis had to start taking medication for it. 

This year I found out that I have Celiac Disease and cannot have anything containing Gluten.  This means no wheat, barley, Rye and so forth …. I’ve had to learn eating all over again!  It’s been an interesting journey but one which has been good for me.  The good news is that I feel much better after years of having all sorts of symptoms which kept me from leading a regular life. 

We have completely revamped our eating patterns and have embraced things like salads, veggies and fruits.  I’ve learned to live without a lot of bread products and it’s so difficult to explain but
 
gluten is in so many things that it’s difficult to trust other’s to prepare your food.  Dennis was awesome and made me gluten free stuffing and gravy for Thanksgiving! I even had my own peanut butter brownie!  (Made with rice flour!)

Den and I have both lost a lot of weight with many more pounds to go.  We have burgers (mine with a gluten free bun, Mac’s a veggie burger!) at our favorite restaurant every Monday night and then I try to eat no more red meat for the rest of the week. 

I continue to be the companion and household manager.  We are really looking forward to the coming year and enjoying new adventures!  We have a few doozies in store for the coming year so you’ll have to stay tuned for our journey!  Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment